Monday, June 30, 2008

Of Medicine, Medicine and Medi-freaking-cine.

Since I've been called Grumpy/Grot/Droopy in various languages for a long time now, I've got to set the record straight.

Blogging is therapeutic, almost spiritual for me. If you happen to ask around at my college, what my peers would probably say about me was that I was a cheerful, bubbly girl who whoo-hoos at every given opportunity. I am that. But the adolescent part of me, it never dies. That angst, that rebellious drive surfaces way too many times and that is when I bid Adieu in the most sugarcoated voice I can summon up so as to not blow my cover, and instead, I blog.

Modern-day Clark Kent I am, only my Superman avatar wears hideous pajamas and scribbles furiously in a journal or calls up similarly-inclined friends and people-bashes. When I'm at college, I throw away my 2000-page Surgery text and hide myself behind the monitor and type away. This is my comforting foetal postion (way more comforting than my mother's womb, anyway).

This blog is a sincere appeal for all those who ever plan on taking up a 7-year-but-feels-like-a-gazillion-years course of MBBS.
This is my fifth year in this course, and I can tell you that IT SUCKS. Don't EVER take it. Even if you are a masochist. Wear a cilice. Commit death by slow starvation. Slowly pull out your fingernails using an artery forceps. DO NOT TAKE MBBS.

Your life will be redefined. You will cease to be a human being. You're a medical student. That's all you are.
Your happiness would be scoring 50% in your daily internal assessment (minimum needed to qualify write the exams). You will be juggling 14 subjects for 6 years, and mostly let them all slip.
You will have to write case histories, perform various tests with ease and MUG up humongous amounts of material. Humongous. In a matter of hours.
Occasionally, you can eat. Maybe treat yourself to a little nap. Whoo hoo. Thoo, thoo, more like.

Fine. Why do I sound so venomous?

I just screwed up my Orthopaedics viva. I could not list out all the clinical features of a Colle's fracture. And my sir had no qualms about saying that even a 2nd year student could breeze through that.

All I want is to a nurse a Jughead's Special in the fruit-scented, air conditioned environment of Fruit Shop on Greams Road. Is that too much to ask for?

It apparently is. I'll be going now. Got an exam on Diabetes in Pregnancy in a couple of hours. Whoo hoo!

3 comments:

Spica said...

I was a cheerful, bubbly girl who whoo-hoos at every given opportunity. I am that.

Really????

Chicken Little said...

Yes. I am bubbly. Effervescent, even.

Safrina said...

trust me, she's all that! i can particularly remember nazlas wedding!